Subject: Re: Like the DM editor? Try ce - FREE!
From: [email-masked] (David B Funk)
Date: 5 Sep 1996 03:41:59 GMT

In article <[email-masked]>,
Frederick G.M. Roeber <[email-masked]> wrote:

>Is there a description of the Apollo keyboard pinout anywhere?  I'm sure
>I've seen it fly by, but I didn't see it in the archive just now.  This
>sun keyboard (hwuck ptooi) is giving me CTS.  And I do have a few spare
>Apollo keyboards..

The Apollo keyboard uses a 1200 Baud 8-e-1 TTL level serial data communications
format. (Back in the days of SR-9.* you could even examine the keyboard SIO
port parameters using "-line 0" with tea-kettle. ;)

There are 5 signals: (DIN-8 connector)

pin#   Signal
 1      V++        Power (+8.5V)
 3,7    GND        Ground
 2      KBD_RESET  Reset (active low)
 4      KBD_RXD    Receive data (to keyboard)
 5      KBD_TXD    Transmit data (from keyboard)

(Yes it's a full duplex device, you can send it commands as well as receive
data from it). The numbering scheme on that DIN-8 connecter is weird, it's not
consecutive but hops back and forth in a strange star patter.

The manual:
        Series 10000 Technical Reference Library,      011724-A00
        Volume 5 -Hardware Specifications       

chapter 16 describes the keyboard hardware interface.

The manual:
        Series 10000 Technical Reference Library,      011721-A00
        Volume 2 -I/0 Devices        

Chapter 8 gives a detailed explanation of the data formats, keyboard codes,
keyboard control commands, pointer device data codes, and keyboard programmable
features.

-- 
Dave Funk        <[email-masked]>        (319) 335-5751
Sys_admin/News-admin/cell_admin/Postmaster/Hostmaster for ICAEN
Better is not better, 'standard' is better. B{
#include <std_disclamer.h>

From: [email-masked] (Bruce Hill)
Subject: Re: HP-UX to Domain/OS conversion ?
Date: 18 Sep 91 18:32:03 GMT

In article <[email-masked]>, [email-masked] (alan katz MRS) writes:
> 
>    Is it possible to load domain/OS onto its disk, with a keyboard change,
> and make a domain machine out of it?
We have an HP433s here at Danford that has two disks, one with HP-UX 7.05
and one with SR10.3.4.  It is possible to boot from either disk to get the
operating system that you want.

When the machine is booting in HP-UX mode, hit the space bar after the
console beeps, it will ask for the specified bootable kernel (usually
1H - /hp-ux, or 1B - /SYSBCKUP).  If you enter "DOM" it will put you
in the Mnemonic Debugger (MD) and will allow you to "EX DOMAIN_OS"
to start SR10.  From MD you can boot HP-UX by entering "HP".
There is also a "CF" configuration command at the MD level that will
allow you to specify the default environment to boot from.

I don't think that the boot ROM is special for our particular machine, so
probably all HP433s have this ability.

When ever you want to boot a different OS, you do have to change the keyboard.
If you do not, the DomainOS will stall in the Phase II shell and you will
not be able to type "go".  The same thing happens for HP-UX, when the
X-windows starts up it will complain that there is no input device.

> Alan Katz,  [email-masked]

-- 
Bruce T. Hill          Danford Corp.               voice: (213) 514-9334 
Project Manager        350 W. 5th St.              FAX:   (213) 831-0454
uunet!dannet!bruce     San Pedro, CA 90731 USA

From: [email-masked] (Lothar Paltins)
Subject: Re: 425T Question...Changing back to Domain mode from HPUX
Date: Wed, 23 Sep 1998 19:45:16 GMT

In article <[email-masked]>,
"Kimberley A. Kimmel" <[email-masked]> writes:
> Actually you get a completely different bootup screen if you
> toggle between HPUX and Domain/OS. The MD prompt is a Domain/OS
> thing. HPUX looks different and has different bootup prompts.
> The problem is that I don't remember what keypress combinations
> you had to do to get it to boot in the different ways. ...

Switch from Domain to HP-UX:
    At the MD prompt: CF <return>
                      2  <return>
                      2  <return>
                      P  <return>
                      E  <return>

Switch from HP-UX to Domain:
    Interrupt the boot sequence by pressing <ESC> until "Select System,
    type RETURN" and a question mark appears in the lower right corner of
    the screen
                     C <return>
                     3 <return>
                     1 <return>
                     P <return>
                     E <return>

But Britt Jensen has got a headless 425 that was switched to HP-UX. I
don't know if it's possible to switch it back to Domain without a keyboard
attached. Do you see the HP-UX boot messages on your serial terminal? Try
to press <ESC> at the terminal several times immediately after power on
and see what happens.

Lothar
-- 
Lothar Paltins                 [email-masked]