Subject: Re: Low-Cost OS Software for Home & Museum Use (was: Micro PDP-11 - is...)

From: [email-masked] (PDP11 Hacker .....)
Date: Mon, 5 Sep 1994 15:42:00 GMT

In article <[email-masked]>, [email-masked] (Timothy D. Shoppa x4256) writes...
>In article <[email-masked]>, [email-masked] writes...
>>In article: <1994Sep2.134621.8572@muvms6>  [email-masked] (Ronald Copley) writes:
>> 
>>> We need a "How to Ship/Pick Up a PDP" FAQ! 
>> 
>The procedure for locking the heads (and drive motors, where appropriate)
>is usually very simple.  As a matter of fact, it is usually perfectly
>obvious if you take a peek inside.  I'll try to prepare a simple
>little FAQ for some common drives.  (RL0n, RM0n, RA60, RA8n, and
>RK05 are the ones I have experience with & manuals for.)

Lets see now : 

RK05 : Remove top cover (10 screws). Check that positioner assembly is fully
retracted into the large magnet at the rear. If a pack is present, remove front
plate on the underside of the drive, and fiddle with the rotary solenoid to
release the front door. Slide pack out, and ship separately. Now lock
positioner - there is a small 'L' shaped bracket on the magnet casing. Unscrew
this, use to hold the coil inside the magnet, screw back in place, so that the
positioner coil can't move. Refit top cover.

RK05j - as RK05

RK05f : Remove top cover, leave pack (fixed pack) in place. Lock positioner as
for RK05. Refit cover

RL01/02. Should not need locking - positioner is quite stiff. But, remove
access cover on top, and release pack access door. Lift Read/Write module and
check heads are fully retracted. Remove pack if present. There is a locking
bracket on the positioner chassis, accessable from inside the pack holder,
unless I've forgotten something. Reassemble drive

RK06/07. These drives are self-locking, but it's worth removing the rear access
cover (2 screws), and checking the positioner is fully retracted and locked.
Remove pack if present by inserting a screwdriver blade above the catch button
on the front and pushing inwards. Open door, retract brushes with the knob
inside, remove pack. Reassemble

R80, RA80, RM80. Open main upper chassis (not logic cover) by inserting a
screwdriver into the front catch and swinging the cover up. Lock the head
positioner with the white catch on the HDA casing. Release the belt tension
with the lever on the right.

>Tim. ([email-masked])
>Kellogg Radiation Lab, Caltech.
-tony

Bristol University takes no responsibility for the views expressed in this
posting. They are the personal views of the user concerned.